Wednesday 26 October 2016

Don't Worry, It's Okay.



Just before we finished our dinner, my toddler requested for a milo drink while I made my coffee on a cold rainy evening. She drank happily while I did my routine: finishing my meal and chatting to my mother.

She played and was happily running slowly around the house, to and fro. Sipping her milo once in awhile.

Then it happened. I didn't see it, but the milo splattered from the table! On to my bag, down to her books, the curtains and the floor.

She stood frozen. Looking at me intently after I carelessly reacted, " Naaaah!! See what happened?!" obviously in a disappointed manner, but never in a manner of yelling.

Without another word, I stood up and took the wipe from the kitchen. As I took the wipe, I reminded myself how she stood frozen, I reminded myself that it is just a splattered milo, and I reminded myself of my little girl's face, just a toddler who makes minor accidents at times, and that it is better not to say anything at the moment of my disappointment.

I wipped everything without saying anything while she was still there at the spot where her milo spilled.

While I was wiping, she blurted out these words to me:

"Don't worry, it's okay..."

What a reassuring phrase coming from my three year old. I am not only humbled, but I have learned yet again.


Everyday, I learn a thing or two from my toddler from the situations where we both are into. Sure my face was not compassionate at all, yet it was another good try to enhance my self-regulation skills, by not yelling, nagging or shouting.

After the cleaning up, I gently came to her and told her, next time it is best not to run inside the house. She then told me the reason why she ran, and said "tomorrow, I will not run anymore so I will not spill my milo."

No broken spirits, crying soul, negative energies. All was about learning self-regulation, out of a splattered milo.

One splattered milo at a time, one self-regulation learning at a time.

Happy Parenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment