Saturday 28 May 2016

I Love You, Because You're Here



Out of the blue, she blurted "I love you because you're here...."

I didn't need to double confirm from books and articles that our presence as parents is what they mostly need. Not out in the park, the malls, the beach or outdoor, not even the toys. It's right here, with them. I, her mother, is enough to make her day worthwhile and happy.

It was past lunch time when she did her usual play routine. I was with her, though not participating on her play. She came closer to me busy with something she got engaged to. Out of the blue she blurted, I love you because you're here. She didn't mind, but I did.

I came close to her and asked her, "are you happy when I'm here?" She nodded and smiled. Then proceeded with her business.

It is not supposedly surprising to me hearing this revelation. But when it came straight from my own, it hit a heartstring. I realized its not our outdoor trips that made her smile. It wasn't my biggest attempt of arranging her play area that made her happy. It was me. It was my presence.

Her play area meant nothing if I wasn't there to pretend as her student, while she, a teacher. She would ask me to go and sit down and would specifically tell me "not like that, do like this..." when she wanted me to do something that I quite couldn't get what she meant.

Sure, articles are flying and the knowledge is there that presence is in fact, not just a mere fad about parenting. It's an undebatable fact that is it a necessity. Not something you can just close your eyes and convince yourself that it is okay. For me, it is not OKAY. It is never okay to rob your child the chance to be with you and force that it is going to be alright. It will never be alright for them. Our job is to quit prioritizing other things. That's parenting.





No comments:

Post a Comment